16 February 2010

Mind Forming Media: 'Premier'Rooney to 'Premier'ship 1 of 3

By Dr3
I said it before: Fanaticism like hatred, is irrational.

The command of, and understanding of the English language is not one of my shortcomings. Understanding why the media attempts to unequivocally and continuously rape my mind and form my opinion certainly is though; I will never understand it, and I will not go quietly into the night. The Premiereship in not the best league in the world. Premiere certainly does mean first, but ship must mean ‘four’ explaining why it’s a “competition” solely between the SAME top four teams of this specimen of a ‘league’.



Part 1

Dear Roonster,

You’re not the best player in the world. It hurts me to talk about Rooney because I don’t want to do him the injustice of dismissing his accomplishments. He is undoubtedly in the best form of his career, he is also undoubtedly showing his credentials for being at least a candidate for one of the best players in the world. The word best though is unfortunately where the Rooney fantasy has to die. It is relative, and therefore you have to be compared to others to really be the best. I want to underline again that I believe Rooney to be a fantastic player. I wrote this article hoping for the fruit of Rooney and the man has simply delivered. Most goals in a season, most goals in the “premiere”-ship, and simply put the most decisive and clinical he has ever been.

Decisiveness is crucial in being objectively considered for being the best; which Wayne in this season has shown in spades. However, a hatrick against Hull, a match winning header against City, and his double today against Milan, although underlining this decisiveness, do not really reflect that raw talent that exudes “I am the best player in the world”. I again want to make sure I underline that I believe decisiveness is important in a “big” player (exit Ibrahimovic), but what exactly is Rooney doing that is exceptional enough to warrant being called the best?



I recall a certain CR7 scoring a scorcher from 40 yards to single-handedly take his team through, I recall a certain Zizou scoring an outlandish volley in a final nonetheless , I also recall a Messi-ah scoring not just a hatrick but one of immense quality in a derby match to boot. I recall king Henry flooring R9 on his way to single-handedly taking Arsenal to the final, I recall a buck toothed R10 toe-poking, and scoring doubles and winning rapturous applause from bitter rivals. I recall the genuine quality that made the world gaze in awe of the immense talent on show. The quality that was undisputable, the quality that makes United fans swallow their pride and accept Kaka as their tyrant-but godly tormentor, the quality that makes a man in the most foolish haircut and slightly overweight run away with the adulation of the entire world, and world of fashion.

Yes, what I recall is the extra quality that says “I am the best”. Rooney simply hasn’t and isnt doing that (yet?). He’s showing the clinical decisiveness of Trezeguet or Inzaghi (that was missing from his game), yet he floats between the lines like Kaka.Great, unique, but certainly not best. Can Rooney do the Kaka? Rooney scored a double today, but was he even on the field before Nani’s exit? Was Cristiano’s goal against Inter the proof of his quality, or was it in his 'performance'? What was Rooney’s performance like today?

Messi’s goal in the CL final wasn’t the proof but the icing on an “I am the best player” shaped cake. Very decisive and an underlining act on a statement made over the season. Rooney is on the right track though, and as much as I hate the english media I would love to see him become capable of one-man-team moments. Until then though, the word best is spelt either; C-R-I-S….or M-E-S-S-…



Love you Wayne....

Want more? Go ahead and SUBSCRIBE to Football Rehab!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Contact Us